As the evenings get colder, the nights longer, and the ride more smaller and intimate, its a good time to reflect on what a great year Bike Party enjoyed in 2014.
As one comment to the San Jose Metro weekly newspaper put it “San Jose Bike Party is better now than it has ever been before! Better dancing, better food and less of the negative bad elements.” Yes, we couldn’t agree more.
Here is a list of changes and improvements in 2014.
- This year we were happy to bring back the second ride with the Lord Mayor of Dublin Ireland as wells as partnering with the city of San Jose on a Bollywood Bike Party to celebrate our sister city relationship with Pune, India.
This year we also engage our volunteer and riders to participate in the Great American Litter Pickup with the City of San Jose Environmental Services Department. San Jose Bike Party was invited to the Earthquakes vs. Chivas game to participate in the ceremonial coin toss to highlight our work cleaning downtown and near Guadalupe Creek.
- On our October ride (Aliens vs. Monsters) we had a great time dancing on the world’s largest permanent outdoor Monopoly board. When we found out that the non -profit organization who manages and maintains the area (no the city doesn’t do it) had just posted a Kickstarter campaign, well we not only contributed but we help spread the word to all of you. Within the days the project was fully funded. Thank you.
This year SJBP sponsored three teams at Turning Wheels 4 Kids, the huge effort to get about 2,300 newly built bikes under the trees of needy South Bay area children.
- We also teamed up with the newly formed East San Jose Bike Coop in sponsoring a feeder ride on our monthly outings. The ride will originate in East San Jose and involve local youth and their parents in a program to ride safe and promote the use of lights and helmets. Look for them on future rides.
- San Jose Kidz Bike Party, a ride for families with children able to handle a three mile ride (6-10 years of age) has also added rides for older children with rides from four to seven miles. We also continued to have an early evening ride during December to go out and see Christmas lights by bike.
And as many of you know. The fun part of Bike Party just got better. We now have more synchronized music bikes with a dedicated dance floor each month complete with a DJ, Lazer lights, smoke machines, and some great beats. The folks that bring you the beats do it with their own time and money so don’t forget to thank them. We try to have a theme inspired playlist during the ride and a dance inspired playlist at regroups.
- The list of the number of bike parties worldwide just keeps growing. This year Akron, Ohio was added to the list. This in addition to other cities such as Boston, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and San Diego.
So thanks to all of you who make San Jose Bike Party fun, safe, and social. Here’s to a great 2015.