Hellyer Velodrome (7-8:30pm bike & roller derby races & party)
- or -
former Capital Buick/GMC (regular start)
It’s your choice! (park in Campbell, dt SJ or Capitol VTA – but NO parking in/near Hellyer Velodrome – and please drive instead of taking VTA if possible)
Just as Waldo explores a new environment with every new page, so SJ Bike Party turns the page on another exciting adventure through new territory of Southeast San Jose! This month’s ride brings:
- a food donation drive with Second Harvest Food Bank! bring non-perishable food to the start!
- new roads you’ve never seen before – some great, some sketchy
- a mix of ‘hoods from dense & urban to hilly & country open space within city limits!
- new libraries and other new city buildings
- Northern California’s only active velodrome with a race for you!
- Please review How We Ride before joining us – it’s the single most useful guide to the Bike Party experience!
- Read Get Ready to Ride for a checklist of things to remember. Bring lights and wear a helmet! This ride hits some very dark roads with occasional rough pavement – be prepared!
- Bring fenders and rain gear – we ride rain or clear – and rain seems likely.
- Help us keep the party festive – colorful costumes, bright lights, and music trailers make the night a blast! Please do try to keep noise down in residential neighborhoods, and be sure to ride sober – some more foolish riders have discovered the hard way that $400 tickets are no fun.
- Ride to the ride! Please do NOT plan to park a car at the start location or at the velodrome – there is absolutely no parking at either location. Plentiful parking near the start/finish at VTA’s Capitol Station, north & south of Capitol Expy @ Narvaez.
Bike Party can help you get to the velodrome races! These pre-rides will go straight to the velodrome to catch the race event and then meet up with the rest of the Bike Party when it rolls near the velodrome:
- Campbell to Hellyer Velodrome @ 5:45pm, led by Jeff – meet at Campbell Community Center parking lot: TxT Directions
Campbell Comm Ctr to Hellyer Velodrome Map 5:45pm
- Downtown San José to Hellyer Velodrome @ 6pm, led by Sarah – meet at San Jose Repertory Theater: TxT Directions
DT SJ – SJ Rep to Hellyer Velodrome Map – 6:00pm
If you can’t come early to see the races at the velodrome, join us to catch the main ride:
- North San José/Santa Clara to Main Start @ 6:30pm, led by Ian:
Rivermark on Montague Expy (@Peets Coffee) to Capitol Buick Map – 6:30pm
- Campbell to Main Start @ – 6:45pm, led by Bob – meet at Campbell Community Center parking lot: TxT Directions
Campbell Comm Ctr to Capitol Buick Map – 6:45pm
(Note: Say “hi” to those on “Art Walk” in dt Campbell)
- Downtown San José to Main Start @ 7pm, led by Ryan- – meet at San Jose Repertory Theater: TxT Directions
DT SJ – SJ Rep to Capitol Buick Map – 7:00pm
Full Map & Directions
Main Ride: 20 miles – from the wide expanses of Capitol Expressway to winding Coyote Road to high density development streets… finishing at the starting point.
Turn by Turn Directions: Please print out 10-20 copies so you can share with others. Thanks!
Help Needed!! Can someone can check out actual signage for turn off of Blossom Hill onto Endicott/Great Oaks,etc? Please email what it says to firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
For those interested in riding home to downtown San Jose after the ride, here’s a map specifically for you: Capital Buick to DT SJ – SJ Rep
For everyone else, just ride the reverse of how you got there!